Top 10 Tips to Declutter Your Life | Healthy Living Tip
We all find ourselves drowning in too much stuff sometimes, even if we never thought of ourselves as hoarders. Too much at home, too much at work and too much everywhere in between. Regardless of how much you have, the truth is that our modern lives are busy and hectic, too busy to sort out what we need, what we want, and what we really should throw out. In turn, our stress levels increase, and our overall health is negatively impacted.
If you feel stressed and disorganized, take a step forward by cleaning up what's around you. Abolishing clutter and having an organized routine will allow you to be the best version of yourself. We put together our favorite tips to help you start!
1. Simplify your life. Start by making a list. Outline all the areas of your life and home that could use a little trim. List them by order of importance, the most important being what makes your life worthwhile and happy. Take some time to focus on those areas, while also spending time improving yourself in areas you feel you could do better in.
2. Schedule. Consistency is key to prevent clutter from controlling you life. Set up a schedule of daily (and weekly or monthly) tasks to plan what you need to do. You will be more productive as you won't forget anything important, and you won't stress about forgetting anything important.
3. Say No. Decluttering your life is also about reducing the number of commitments that are not a priority. Make a list of your top 5 daily commitments and don't even think about the remaining items.
4. Prioritize You! Make more room for yourself so that you can pursue personal hobbies or interests. This will help you relax and stimulate your mind, keeping you sane. You can start by creating a hobby-studio in your house, or signing up for local activities you enjoy.
5. Purge. Get rid of old items that no longer serve you. If you’re unsure of something, ask yourself why you're keeping it, and how likely you are to use it again. This can even be applied to your cell phone; delete all apps that you haven't used recently.
6. Finances! Financially strain takes a toll on anyone, mentally and emotionally. Get a grip on your finances by setting a daily, weekly, or monthly budget for yourself (it helps to plan based on pay periods), and keep track of every time you make a purchase. There are plenty of great apps to help you do this, or you can even use Notes on your iPhone.
7. Electronic Storage. Take advantage of electronic storage options like iCloud to have less paper lying around, and easier access to what you need. Plus, you'll be able to reference these documents whenever you need to!
8. Organize Your Home. Ensure that you are making the best of each room in your house by taking a little time to organize your home. Do you have a messy garage? A cluttered bathroom? Do your kids keep toys lying around the house?
9. Donate. Always follow the rule: "If you haven't worn it in a year, donate it". It’s a good mentality to have and a great blueprint for letting go of the old, clearing our your space and your life.
10. Self-Storage. Or if you want to keep your items, but still want to keep them from cluttering your home, consider self-storage! This is the perfection option to stay organized at home, make sure you only keep essentials close by, but still keep cherished items easily accessible.