Key West Grilled Chicken | Recipe
Barbecue food is delicious, but if you’re like me, then you sometimes find the idea of making it yourself to be intimating. Well fear no more! I’m going to walk you through how to make an easy Key West grilled chicken. Inspired by our strong presence in the Florida area, this recipe is a combination of southern and Caribbean cooking which will surely make you feel like you’re on the tropical beaches of Key West.
This meal simply requires chicken, basic household ingredients, and access to a grill. However, it does require a lot of time – usually up to 6 hours for me. I recommend marinating the chicken in the morning so it’s ready to grill by the evening, just in time for dinner. Then once you’re ready to grill, all you have to do is grill the chicken for about 4 minutes on each side, add some garnish and serve!
This recipe is perfect for everyone, whether you’re a working parent who likes to ensure they provide a healthy meal for their kids at the end of the day, or if you’re single and just like to throw a party with yummy food (hint: this is the perfect recipe for Labor Day)!
And as an extra bonus, these ingredients all provide great health benefits, in addition to amazing flavor. Cilantro and jalapeños are a great source of fiber, while soy sauce and olive oil are great for heart health! And honey is packed with various benefits, and is even great for when you're sick. You must try this healthy (and delicious) recipe right away, you don’t know what you’re missing.
Prep time: 2-6 hours
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 pounds of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 tbsp honey
3 heaping tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cup of lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup of cilantro, chopped
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 gallon zip lock baggy
Instructions for the Marinade:
- Prepare the marinade in a small bowl. Combine the jalapeno, lime juice, honey, soy sauce, olive oil, cilantro, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Place the chicken in a gallon zip lock bag and then pour the marinade mixture into the bag with the chicken. Seal the bag shut.
- Move the bag around gently, so that the marinade evenly coats the chicken. Let it sit/marinade from 2-6 hours.
Instructions for Grilling the Chicken:
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat. Grill the chicken for about 4 minutes on each side or until its completely cooked through.
- Garnish with lime zest and chopped cilantro if desired
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
For a refreshing and beautiful combination, serve this dish with our Watermelon Salsa. You’ll dish will create quite the buzz among your friends, and I’m sure you’ll be asked to share a recipe.